Town of Sami
The town of Sami was built after the catastrophic earthquakes of 1953 that shook the island. It lies 22 km northeast of Argostoli along the bay of the same name and has about 1,000 inhabitants. It is the islands largest harbour where ships going to Patras and Italy set out from there.
According to Homer, ancient Sami stood outside the town to the north. Its ruins still stand on the hills and next to the harbour. The inhabitants have found a place in history for their resistance during the siege of the Romans, despite the being besieging by the powerful Roman army. The surrounding areas are of great natural beauty, combining caves, beaches, and lush vegetation. Near to Sami is the monastery of Agrilies, the spring of Karavomilos, the Melissani, Drogorati and Aggelaki caves and the notable church of Agios Spyridon at the village of Poulata.
Antisamos is another of the spectacular beaches which is just over the headland from Sami, where some of the filming for Captain Corellis Mandolin took place. You may notice the captains village on the winding road to Anti Samos. It's all MDF, plaster and scaffolding, but very realistic in fact, some might say it's more realistic than some of the real old buildings.